Digital Preservation – How?
Dr. David Giaretta
Director of the APA, Dorset, United Kingdom
Funder, Operational, Researcher, Senior management
This module provides an overview of digital preservation – the whys and the hows – as well as the challenges and opportunities presented. The following modules are included:
- Preservation overview
- Problems in preservation
- Types of digital objects
- Outline of OAIS concepts
- Threats to digital holdings
- Basic preservation techniques
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- See how the repository he/she is managing or operating can improve and take advantage of new opportunities
- See how his/her repository can improve and take advantage of new opportunities
- See what problems have not yet been addressed in his/her own repository
- Understand the problems that need to be addressed if he/she is to preserve new types of digital objects
- Understand OAIS, a very important standard
- Better prepared in terms of the threats to his/her digital holdings
- Better understand of a wide range of preservation techniques
CPE credit value and accreditation organization
The APA CoE online course on Digital Preservation - How? is not accredited by external authorization bodies. With successful participation, students will get issued a certificate of participation.
Likely duration of the course
Details of other courses that need to have been successfully undertaken prior to enrolling on current course
None. The course authors have identified other learning resources to be accessed to complement this course. These resources are referenced within the course.
Assessment of course
The certificate will be issued when the final module test has been passed. This requires a mark of 60% or more.
You can go back and review any part of the course before you make another attempt at the test. There is no limit on the number of total attempts allowed.
Expiry date before course review
APA CoE reserves the right to discontinue this course any time.
Assessment of online course
The certificate of attendance will be awarded when the course evaluation has been completed. Short tests with up to 10 multiple-choice question during the course modules shall serve as self evaluation for the user. The outcome does not have any consequences for the completion of the course.
At the end of the course you will come to a forum. Please use this forum to engage with the authors and the other learners who have taken this course. Use it to ask questions; dispute content; give other learner how things might differ where you practice. The content of the fora will be reviewed by the course authors and editors for some time following the publication of this course.
- Internet Explorer 8+
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6+
- Apple Safari 5+
- Google Chrome 10+
- Opera 11.1+
- Adobe Flash 10+
- Audio equipment is necessary to listen to the lectures
- A PDF Viewer for viewing downloaded documents
Availability: October 19, 2014 - Open
|Accrediting organization:||Credits value:|